Notes for NWS applicants
Notes for applicants for the New Writers’ Scheme :
After your membership application has been processed, you will receive a form which will give details regarding your typescript submission. Please do not send any work in without this form.
The closing date for tss is 31 August. You will be asked to submit your ts in hard copy by then. The reasons we ask for hard copy are because:
- The overwhelming number of our readers prefer it in this form. They may read it in their study, on the train, in their lunch hour, in bed. Very, very few like to read new tss on their computer screens.
- With 250 tss going through the scheme, all have to be treated in the same way.
You will also be asked for two lots of postage (one for the journey to the reader, one for the return leg to you). Please send this in stamps, not post-labels as these have ‘post-by’ dates on them which are likely to expire. We realise that postage can be a large expense to an unpublished writer, but it should be borne in mind that the current NWS reading fee is exceptionally reasonable. Professional book doctor services cost very much more.
- You may only submit one ts to the NWS per year.
- The critique is a final report, not the start of a conversation with your reader.
- If you do not think you will get your ts finished, you may submit a partial together with a synopsis. There is no reimbursement of the reading fee if you do not submit by 31 August.
- If you are accepted for publication you should let the NWS Organiser and the Hon Membership Secretary know as soon as possible.
- Published members (or those accepted for publication) are not eligible for the New Writers’ Scheme.